Thursday, April 12, 2012

Disastrous Easter

Easter eggs
Easter eggs (Photo credit: StSaling)

Easter for me was crazy as hell and as usual way too much stress to celebrate a Pagan-turned-Christian holiday when I don't hold with either clan. My family are all still Christian and for them, the food, and the chance to spend time with those people I don't get to see often, I participate. Since my family is so large, shopping for each person is impossible so every year my sister and I put together a small, individual arrangement of homemade confections (yes, we do make them by hand). This Christmas it was truffles (over 150 were made) and chocolate peppermint bark.

For Easter Alissa (My very own, personal pain-in-the-ass, aka: sister.) and I had planned on making everyone their own chocolate egg with their favorite filling, fruit-nut, peanut butter, etc. They're basically the same egg you pay $15+ for out of the cataloge or in the Store around Easter (they're cheaper to make and taste better because you can control the quality of the chocolate you use). Suffice it to say that between work and writing the new book and all the work I've been doing on this blog (You've noticed all the changing, haven't you?). I honestly forgot Easter was yesterday and the Eggs take days to make, so I chose to throw a cake together last minute.

A layered pound cake, with alternating interst...
A layered pound cake, with alternating interstitial spaces filled with raspberry jam and lemon curd, finished with buttercream frosting. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
If you actually know me, you know I don't do anything simple. Most people would have ran to Walmart, got a box of Betty Crocker cake mix, and a matching canister of icing and voila, a cake. But not me, no, I can't do anything the easy way. I go to Walmart, buy the cake mix, then buy 23 bags of top-shelf chocolate (the stuff that has no paraffin or other stuff in it and contains at least 60% cocoa). I decide I'll make a 3 layer chocolate cake filled with chocolate ganache and iced with, you guessed it: more ganache.

A layer cake needs a minimum of 2 days to prepare, but I usually set out 3 days. The reason being that the cake needs to cool completely, be removed from the pan, then left to sit in the air for a full day (or most of one) to start to dry out so that when it's time, the top of the cake can be removed (you want a level layer) and the layer manipulated. Since I have a small oven, I bake my layers thick and cut them in half. So, 10 AM I set out to bake a cake that takes 3 days to make and Easter Dinner was scheduled for 3 PM. I had a rough (and by that I mean you can tell it's a cake but in no way does it look as decadent as it actually is) cake ready by 2:45 and we were out the door.

Around 100 feet onto the toll road my tire explodes. The jack handle/lug nut removal device that came with the car was cheap garbage (I hate your guts, Saturn) and so the bolts became stripped and stuck and the tire was not coming off. So it was call a tow truck or drive the just over 3 miles home (I used to run that stretch of road every day) or drive home on the bad tire. We drove home, my aunt came and picked us, and the giant 15+ pound cake, up and took us to grandmas.

My dad stopped out and got the spare on and I spent all of Monday afternoon before work running around trying to get new tires. Walmart has no tires, well their computer says they have one, but it's a liar. Good Year can order the tires, but I need them right then and there, so I move on. Firestone finally has the tires I need, and the way the guy was talking $68/tire is a steal, but then they charge you disposal and valve stems and labor and road hazard and eventually you owe $171 for 2 tires, after waiving everything the guy doesn't refuse to let you waive.

I now have brand new tires, and it only cost me one hell of a headache and $171 and change. All that said, I hope I didn't bore you with 700 words about my crazy life but I don't really blog about me that often, given I prefer to write about what I'm interested in at the time of the blog-writing and my life really isn't all that interesting, most of the time. I felt the last 2-3 days deserved a post for posterity at the least. Anyway, let me know how your holidays went, was it a disaster? Or was your family smart and left for the Bahamas days before Easter?

No comments:

Post a Comment